Frequently Asked Questions (click on the question to see the answer!)

  • 1. Do I need a visa to study in America?
    You will need to apply for a student visa, known as an F-1 Visa, to enroll in elementary school, junior high, high school, language school, junior college, four-year university and graduate school in America. However, you do not need this type of visa for those who want to enroll to school or university for a period of less than 90 days and lessons which are less than 20 hours per week, including short-term study tours and summer camp. In those cases, you will be required to apply for tourist visa, ESTA Electronic System for Travel Authorization.
  • 2. Is there a test for admission in to language schools?
    No. American language schools generally don’t require any entrance examination. In addition, there is no need to take English tests such as TOEFL and TOEIC for enrollment.  After admission, they will usually give you placement test to determine the academic level based on the results of the test.
  • 3. What is the minimum length of study abroad programs in America?
    Special seasonal programs such as summer intensive courses or study tours are usually two to four weeks. Normal language study courses are available from 4 weeks to 9 weeks for 1 session, and there are 5-12 sessions in a year.
  • 4. Can I experience studying in elementary, middle and high schools?
    In the United States, public schools generally do not allow the acceptance of foreign students. Therefore, you will participate in the programs that are operated by private or secondary schools.
  • 5. What type of accommodation plan can I have?
    It depends on age and period of stay, but the most popular accommodation is a home stay. Others include student dormitory or shared apartment (shared with a few friends).
  • 6. How much money does it cost to study in America?
    It depends on where you study and how you live. In general, living expenses in Colorado is equivalent to Japan. An apartment rent for a month is from $700 to $ 900 for 1 bedroom, small Living and Dining, Kitchen, and Bathroom. Home stays are from $ 650 to $ 850 a month including 2 meals per day.  Language school tuition is from $ 1600 to $ 2500 for 4 to 9 weeks. Food is about $ 400 to $ 700 a month.
  • 7. What do I do in summer camp?
    American public and private schools have their summer vacation from the end of May to mid-August. Therefore, summer camps have been very fulfilling. There are Day-camps, which usually open from 8am to 3pm from Monday to Friday. Also, there are Night-camps where everyone stays over night for a period of time. Types of activities are all kinds of sports, arts, experiential learning, leadership training, etc. Camps that are hands-on type learning through the outdoor activities are especially popular in Colorado.
  • 8. How is public safety in America?
    Just as any place in the world, it depends on the location. Those areas that are said to be dangerous are limited. Even in places like New York or Los Angeles, dangerous locations are negligible. Crime can happen in any country. It is very important for self prevention in such places and to be aware of your actions which may cause problems.